Wednesday, September 26, 2007

We're all in the middle

We are all in the middle!! Jamie Lee Curtis has a new book out for children titled "Is There Really A Human Race?" What race? Who wins? The idea is that we are taught as children that we need to do the best we can, but we are encouraged always to win the race. Be the first, be competitive, win, win, win. Well, this story will hit home to a lot of us, especially the older generation whose life is slipping away faster and faster. I am not by nature a competitive person. I do not like conflict. I don't need to win. I have always known this and-- try to explain that to someone who excels at anything. They don't understand! I am content to muddle along behind everyone else, the middle would be nice, but usually I am the last to do most anything. Computers boggle my mind and although I am struggling with this, I get it done at my speed. Her point is that we are all in the middle of the race. One may win a foot race, but be last in a spelling competition and in the middle of the choir. Those of us who are at the end of the race, get to stop and smell the roses, pet a cute puppy, make a new friend along the way and essentially win our own race which is most important of all!!

Some of my friends who paint with me, don't feel as talented as others, but for me it is important that they have fun!! It is NO race. There is no human race to win. Thank you Jamie!!

Next post will be the completed cell phone case below. My beloved heard me say I needed a phone case and ask and ye shall receive!



These photos show the Mr. tooling a leather phone case for me. The first step involves dampening the leather and beginning the tedious stamping and actual tooling.



As you see, the progress has produced this wonderful snake!!! Yes, that was my choice!

We went to a ranch auction this weekend. We were interested in the log beds, but lordy, lordy, as with most auctions, they were sky-high. Heck, you can buy a new one with no shipping for less! People just go ape at an auction. However my friend Debby did score some irrigation stuff! That sounds like work to me. Another thing we did was to put our camp trailer up for sale. It was used when we bought it and we had it for 14 years, but it served us well!! The fridge quit working and the heat was really temperamental. Put up a flyer yesterday and sold it today. Yea!So kiddos, hopefully we will have a new one next year with a real fridge again.

So be in the middle and from James Leo Herlihy..."Be yourself. No one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong."

No comments: