Monday, November 5, 2007

Wind versus rain

Although it didn't actually rain the day we went to Seattle, it did rain just 2 days the entire time I was in Olympia. The picture below is one that Erica took when she and I went to Seattle to the big Market there. Now, those of us who live in the west, especially here in the wide open spaces of the prairie lands and sage brush valleys, are so accustomed to stepping outside to take a deep breath before running to the car or truck. This is to escape the gusty wind...it will take your breath away!! No tree in it's right mind grows straight in Wyoming...they all lean away from the wind. That should tell us something!! But in Washington, I noticed that everyone carries and umbrella. I don't even own an umbrella. In fact, I've seen pictures of what the wind does to an umbrella....ugly! Pike Place Market in Seattle ...WOW. It was amazing. For a hick from the sticks it was a feast for the eyes, not to mention the palette. Food everywhere and fresh fish!!! And speaking of the palette, Erica and I had brunch at La Pichet which is a very authentic French cafe. (The menu was in French with English translations.) However, the French don't typically have buttermilk biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak for brunch I realized. Most of the limited items included a pate' of some sort with bread..you know-- liver and such. But you could have french toast or yogurt so that worked for me. Lucious!! Coffee choices were abundant also and in the city of Starbuck's that works too.
We also went to Tacoma to the glass gallery/museum and had brunch with one of Erica's friends. Will post more about that later.

"EVERY CHILD IS AN ARTIST. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.--Pablo Picasso

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here's a secret about the Pacific Northwest culture...locals consider people who carry umbrellas wimps and obviously outsiders. I like to blend in so I haven't used one for a million years! It was very nice to meet you and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit! Thanks for breakfast!!