Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

My son served his country when he joined the US Navy. The Mr. served his country when he served on an aircraft carrier in the US Navy during the Vietnam War. Three of his brothers also served at the same time. His father served during WWII and spent several hours in the water after his ship was hit. My father was not in the Military, but served as well as he worked in an aircraft plant and his brother served in the Army. My mother also worked in an aircraft plant. I was raised in an era where we all were taught that our country was in great danger of being part of that horrible war here as those in France, Germany and other countries were experiencing. It was a duty to serve and protect and all who served were honored in life and death on Memorial Day. One thing we always did was put flowers on the graves of those loved ones who had perished in war as well as those who died in peace. Children today don't necessarily live with that fear and don't have the respect for the great sacrifices made, to allow them the carefree lives they do live. Too much time has passed. I grew up with that fear and constant reminders of how precious my freedom was. My neighbor, a German immigrant, is a testimony of that fear as a child. I wish everyone could hear her story. My lovely hedge of lilacs above remind me that we picked these and carried them to the cemetery to put on the graves of those loved ones to be remembered. My mother always had lilacs and I have 4 different shades. Their sweet fragrance fills the spring air.

On another note....we finished the second teacup chandelier. It went significantly faster although not totally without problems. Failure was not an option and with the help of the Mr., we persevered. There is a third chandelier, just waiting for an incarnation and it will be just as beautiful!! We have had several days of drizzling rain and it has done wonders for our dry grasslands. The wheat farmers must be jumping for joy! I have a few veggies beginning to pop up through the soil and the weeds have flourished much to the Mr.'s dismay. He is a soldier with one goal in mind when he carries his weapon of destruction in the form of a sprayer and toxic concoction. Although the thistles which totally occupied our acreage last year flourished, they are beginning to cringe when they see him all geared up for war.

No comments: