Friday, September 4, 2009

More about quilting

Finished!!! This is the Venetian Tiles quilt which I finally got bound. Before I started to think about really learning to quilt I learned of a series of books by Jennifer Chiaverini based on the Elm Creek Quilters. Fictional in content, her research and attention to detail, will appeal to quilters and readers in general. As I read "The Winding Ways Quilt", I discovered this week, a chapter that caused me to reflect upon my life and the parallels were actually a bit creepy. One chapter is exploring a quilter in the guild whose name is Bonnie. How many people do you know named Bonnie? There are at least 6 who have touched my life in positive ways, most of whom still do. This Bonnie tells of sitting under her grandmothers quilt as a little girl listening to the quilters talk as they quilted. I remember doing this under MY grandmother's quilt. She tells of the quilt her grandmother was working on---The Glorified 9-Patch. This is the quilt I am working on at the moment....the red and white one. Coincidence? She also talks about her grandmother wanting to go home to Erie (PA). My grandmother was born in Erie (CO). Her grandmother was grandma Lucy. MY grandmother's name was LUCY. As I continued to read the chapter, I kept reflecting and it brought back so many memories of my grandmother Lucinda, whom everyone called Lucy. She was gone from my life before I was out of grade school, but as the oldest of the four, I was privileged to be able to spend a lot of time with my grandmother. I spent many nights with her and she poured me a cup of coffee to drink with her at breakfast...we would call it a latte now as it was mostly milk. She made bread with butter and sugar sprinkled on top...a favorite of mine as a child. We made May baskets and delivered to the neighbors. She taught me to crochet. She let me dress up in her pretty dresses and wear her high heeled shoes (She wore a size 4 shoe.)
Perhaps I find quilting a way to connect with her as she was a talented quilter and it brings back those wonderful memories of sitting beneath the quilting frame trying to listen to the chatter above.

"A grandmother is a person with too much wisdom to let that stop her from making a fool of herself over her grandchildren." ~ Phil Moss

No comments: