Monday, September 14, 2009

Vacation

We allowed ourselves a short vacation last week, a much needed break from the window installation, the tree planting and summer work in general. Among our sights were Mt. Rushmore (you can barely see the moon over the heads of the presidents), the Crazy Horse endeavor, Deadwood, museums and the beautiful scenery of the Black Hills. Living so close to these pieces of history, we had never ventured into the area. The weather cooperated and other than a little road construction on the return trip, it was enjoyable. Although we didn't get to see any buffalo, we did speak with others who had been stopped in traffic by the creatures and as you can see, we did get close to some mt. goats and encountered several wild donkeys alongside the roadway. The visitor centers at both, Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore were so very interesting. The manpower and limited technology and primitive resources at the onset of these undertakings and really for the first part of the century, are amazing. Deadwood is still another part of western history that continues to maintain it's original image of the wild west. We were able to work in a couple of museums, an antique store, and lots of good food everywhere.














Back at home, we have started to feel the beginning of the fall chill in the air and I have noticed a very few leaves starting to turn colors. Sal and I went to an antique show here this weekend, oh to get a windfall of a few thousand bucks!!! Beautiful furniture and glassware and a perfect way to spend a rainy day. Today, another friend and I signed up for a fall quilt class and I am anxious to correct some of my bad habits perhaps. Mostly, I have been doing my projects from the seat of my pants and think some basic knowledge of correct procedures will improve my quilting. (You are never too old to learn.) Little Spencer got a new haircut...a little shorter this time and he continues to bloom. It is amazing how much he changed from the little guy we first adopted. I finished my garden sign and have started to paint a sign for Sal's cottage arbor. Will keep you posted on the progress and pictures to follow soon.

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you right back." ~ Arthur Rubenstein

1 comment:

joanannieoakley said...

Nice Pictures, and the vacation was probably needed

Joan