Tuesday, December 13, 2011

On the 5th day of Christmas

 On the 5th day of Christmas we are scrambling to get things done!  I still need to make some peanut brittle and maybe some more spritz.  As we age and are the only ones gobbling down the goodies, it has occurred to us (as we struggle to button up the pants) that maybe we should NOT make so many goodies.  But it wouldn't be Christmas for me without sugar cookies and fudge and...well...
When we were kids we always had fudge and with a cow we had eggnog.  We had the real stuff.  It was rich with fresh eggs and lots of thick cream.  I remember my dad making it for us.  I bought some eggnog, the light kind?  Haven't tried it yet so the verdict is still out.  I miss the real stuff, but the pants again won't button as it is. (sigh)
 A few weeks ago I wrote about  my purchase of an old Singer cabinet for $15.00 at one of my favorite shops here.  Teacups and Twigs is a shabby chic kind of shop way out of town and she only opens for a few weeks in the winter.  I had previously gotten a Singer featherweight, 1958 I believe and doesn't she look wonderful on this cabinet.  It is stripped of it's treadle and it's drawers, but is perfect for a perch for the featherweight, which still sews like a dream!
Spencer seems none too happy with his new kerchief of Christmas prints and wasn't cooperating for a snapshot.  However, this picture is so deceptive of this little guy's personality.  He is a clown and a communicator and a spoiled little boy.  He has grown by leaps and bounds as he has evolved from a shy unsocialized furkid to our very big dog in a tiny body with a heart to match.  He thinks he can lick a boxer or the great Dane who lives behind our back fence!  He has become a terrific watch dog and is in love with our border collie mix, Hildy.  Any animal that comes to live with us in the future will no doubt be a shelter critter or rescue furkid.  They give you unconditional love!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

No comments: