Friday, May 22, 2020

Friends

First of all, I do so cherish my friends.  Since 1966 when my husband was to join the Navy during the Viet Nam War, I have been able to stay in touch with  many of the friends made along the way. We have moved 13 times since he left the service and so many of those dear friends have followed me with my journey.  Last week when I reached my 75th birthday, I spent most of the day on the phone.  It was such a surprise to hear from an old classmate, who apparently calls others of the few we graduated with.  Most of us were together for all 12 years.  I may not always stay in touch as I should, but you are in my thoughts as I remember times spent together, even from my early childhood.  I have been compiling a journal of memories and have found most of my 12 report cards, birthday and valentine cards from grade school, post cards from an aunt and baby cards from other relatives.  This year, I received many cards as well as all of the calls.  Thank you all!  Above, is the large pot of geraniums that my neighbors gave me for my birthday. They also brought 3 white lilacs and chocolate.  They have become great friends.

This new area of the country has not caused me to lose my breath as the wind hits me in the face when I step out...it doesn't blow much..just a little breeze.  So far there has not been the fear of having to shovel snow before the door can be fully opened.  But it does bring with it other issues.  This fall, we were plagued with fur needles and pine cones.  I swept inside, raked outside and couldn't keep up with that mess until a few months ago.  Next because of all of the blooming trees and bushes, although gorgeous enough, the petals were EVERYWHERE.  Now even worse are the little capsules that have enclosed the new growth of needles on the forest of trees where we live.  There is a carpet of golden brown covering everything and we have decided that we need a leaf blower.  At first we couldn't understand why everyone had those noisy things.  Well, they cover the roof, the cars, the sidewalks, our deck and the streets.  I am not complaining, but REALY?  It is about to start over isn't it?  It is an adjustment we will make, and I am not regretting this move, but I do miss my friends back in Wyoming and Colorado.

"However rare true love is, true friendship is rarer." ~ 
L.A. Rochefoucauld

No comments: